8.30.2005

A wise Guy, eh?

Sometimes I am struck by the humor that occurs periodically in my life. This happened to me once again a little while ago. On that particular day, everything seemed to be aggravating me (for no real reason, really). I grew impatient, I became tense and nervous, and I felt like anything and everything was grating on my nerves.

Thankfully, I soon realized that ultimately it was not my circumstances, but rather my uncharacteristic response to them, that was bothering me. I decided that maybe I just needed some “recharging” time, and I started to look forward to parts of the day where I could just be alone with my thoughts. But that didn’t happen…at least not immediately. Every time I anticipated having no one else around, someone would show up. Or I would have to attend a meeting. Or a friend would call. Or something. By the end of the day, I was completely exhausted and more aggravated than ever at my own impatience.

I finally crawled into bed at night and sighed a very relieved sigh. The day was over! I reflected on the conversations and meetings I had that day, and realized that I should have been much more appreciative of those interactions while they were occurring. Life’s just too short to spend a lot of it holed up by myself. I reflected on my response to everything, and couldn’t quite decide if I should necessarily scold myself too hard for occasionally feeling like I just need time to myself. And then I decided to sleep, because I was absolutely exhausted.

And…I couldn’t fall asleep. I tossed and turned, I got up and got a drink of water, and I tried again. No sleep. “But,” I thought, “I’m soooo tired!!” Yet more hours passed, and I still was unable to fall asleep.

Then it hit me: I was finally getting the alone time that I so desperately desired throughout the day. Lovely.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! LOL I hate nights like that. But at least you have a knack for finding humor in it!

I like the new blog, by the way! :)

-Sarah

8/31/2005 9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, great, now I can see how you're doing even though I'm a bad friend who never e-mails.

Blame me...I think I'm transferring this lying awake for hours thing across the ocean. I just do what the voices in my head tell me to and write the nagging story ideas down most of the time, but sometimes that doesn't help. ...Just to make this all about me
;-)

--it's Michelle, if you hadn't guessed

8/31/2005 11:20 AM  
Blogger Yi said...

Welcome friend :)

8/31/2005 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love long nights...

Glad to see that things are going well and now we can keep in touch (probably more) since I suck about sending emails and calling.

-Maria

9/01/2005 11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HA HA.... ^________^

I've had a lot of those exhausted but can't sleep nights in the past month or two. Most of the time prayer helped, but sometimes the list of people running through my head gets longer and longer... and I feel more and more awake. =_= There was a night where I tried sleeping in 3 different rooms before I finally fell asleep, argh. X_X

9/05/2005 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home