9.07.2005

The kernel of my goals

So a person in my program stopped into my office this morning to chat for a bit, and we got on the subject of motivation and deadlines. I was actually just reading about those things last night, so it was sort of funny that it came up in conversation less than twelve hours later.

Anyway, I think that it’s important to motivate myself to do certain things. That’s a no-brainer. But what I do end up wondering is how to best motivate myself…and whether or not I’m choosing a good strategy. I’m not just worried about choosing an effective strategy; I’m worried about choosing a strategy that is healthy for me. For example, I could reward myself with candy corn after I finish a task, but the danger is that I will just make myself sick on a day when I’m super-productive (this alone might even deter me from being super-productive again).

When I try to map motivation onto the identity I wish to achieve, I find that the motivation I tend to use falls into one of two camps: internal or external in origin. Sometimes I can rely on my own wishes, desires, hard work, and ambitions to move myself from point A to point B. I like when that happens…it lets me know that I really value something, or that I’m excited about something, or that I’m really convinced that I need to buckle down and do something. Yay for internal motivation. :)

Sometimes, though, I find that I need an extra “kick” to do the job. Usually, this “kick” comes from an external source, like a deadline or peer pressure or knowing that I’m affecting someone else with my actions. The question then becomes: is my occasional reliance on external motivation a bad thing? If I know that having someone (my advisor, my bank, a friend) impose a deadline for me will help me accomplish an otherwise difficult task, is that okay? Or should I just naturally want to complete my thesis on time (hah!), pay my bills on time, and hold myself accountable for my actions? Similarly, if I am acting in ways that can hurt myself and hurt others, is it bad when it’s the “hurting others” part that will encourage me most to stop? Shouldn’t I want to stop because I feel hurt too? (Note that it can also be really bad if I only want to stop because I’m hurting, which blatantly disregards the other people in the picture).

When I do consciously decide to use external motivation to accomplish something, I usually do it with the hope that it will eventually feed back into internal motivation. But I don’t know how much I push myself to actually make that happen. Usually, when we see results, we stop right there. And if a similar case comes up in the future, we continue with the method that got us to our goals. So I guess one thing for me to keep in mind is that I should question the amount of motivation I have for motivating myself in healthy ways. Okay, that’s confusing. But it’s probably understandable and do-able with enough thought…and motivation (yes, feel free to groan). :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I followed you up until the 5th paragraph, then I got lost. :P
Yes, it's okay to use external motivation - after all, we live in a society, not a cubicle. Human interactions are good. =) About the "hurting yourself and / vs. others", it is good to be considerate of other people, but you should not neglect yourself. There are plenty of things that will hurt you while benefiting others - that alone DOES NOT mean that you should do those things! If you do, you'll just be a doormat. =(
What I'm trying to say is: remember you're HUMAN! We are not self-motivating machines (if there're any they're few & far between). We get tired, we get fed up, we get un-motivated, we get discouraged, and yes, we get lazy too! :P It's better to ask for help and have external deadlines / pressure rather than just letting things slide.
Think of a boat out at sea, it's good to steer and row so you can get to your destination, but sometimes it's nice to have the wind help push you along. If you just sit there, there's a high probability (maybe you could calculate it :P) you will never get where you wanted to go.

9/07/2005 11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*groan* I was lost in the second paragraph.

However, I am reminded of one of my favorite demotivational posters. "Procrastination - Hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now." (http://www.despair.com/proc24x30pri.html)

Sometimes just sitting around doing nothing is the best thing you can do. Stress can lead to harm which would have otherwise been avoided with a healthy dose of demotivation.

PS: If you want to see a prime example of zero motivation, head over to my blog.

9/08/2005 2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found myself with an entirely different problem. The long I have been out of school, the more I have been trying to take on at once.

Take last night for instance. I had 3 boxes of eBay to list, edits to make on the latest edition of the She-Ra guide, a great idea of how to fix a part in my book and the church website to work on (which I would actually get PAID to do) and instead I created yet another website for my own personal use. This makes 7 websites I have made for myself!!!!

http://blog.hillarydepiano.com

9/08/2005 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home