9.19.2005

Selection of a good strategy

“The best science teaching reveals
not just the science of nature
but also the nature of science.”
~Rob Pennock


Rob Pennock is a philosophy of science professor at MSU, and I went to a talk given by him today over lunch. I greatly respect the dialogue he encourages between people who disagree, and I also greatly respect his ability to summarize great bodies of thought into a few succinct sentences, pictures, or assertions. He is able to channel highly abstract musings into specific, meaningful, and applicable statements. It’s pretty cool.

Random paragraph here: I first met Rob last year at a lunch discussion for a seminar speaker, but I ran into him again this past summer at a carillon concert (of all things!). We began chatting and eventually learned that we went to the same high school! Even though he graduated four years before I was born, we had the same band director. Crazy.

Anyway, I left the seminar today feeling that I have a lot to chew on. As a scientist, a once and (hopefully) future teacher, and a person in society, I felt both encouraged and challenged by the topics that he discussed.

I like it when I leave classes or seminars or conversations feeling like I’m just at the beginning of a learning process. Maybe I can figure out some good strategies for how to do that for my students when I teach again someday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word.

There are times when I think that all 12 years of public school science education should be devoted exclusively to the scientific method. If people understood what science actually is, we wouldn't see pop media alternately trivializing and overhyping white papers, and we wouldn't be having absurd "debates" in which science is derided as being more ideological than empirical. Frankly, the nature of science is more important than any specific finding. (Though it would still be nice for the citizenry to have a passing understanding of geology, physics, biology, and chemistry.)

9/19/2005 5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

=) Isn't it great when we get something from a seminar! Too often I fall asleep or get lost after the introduction slide. =(

You can always call / not call me whenever you need. =)

9/20/2005 1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home