11.20.2005

Recordings

I was reading this article today, and it set me to thinking. My thoughts are:

1. I understand the author's point. But having the bar there or not there doesn't really affect me unless I'm listening to the piece for the very first time. If I'm listening to a piece I've already heard before, I may be lost in the music but I still have a general sense for the time-based location of the current passage. In other words, I have developed an intrinsic counter that is not at all unlike an electronic counter.

2. One of the most fascinating things about listening to a new (previously unheard) piece of music is that you do abandon clock time and you fall into musical time. You don't know when the piece will end. You don' t know if and when previous melodic themes will be woven into the piece at a later point. You don't know which instruments will have supporting roles or solos (okay, with the occasional exception of concertos...)

3. The ideas in this article can be applied to all sorts of neat things, like personal development or conversations or friendships. Clock time is not equal to development time, or conversation time, or friendship time. A lot of time I find myself wanting answers about life...but if I had those answers, I wouldn't be as intrigued and on-the-edge-of-my-seat about my life.

4. Yes, I'm comparing life to listening to a new piece of classical music...I realize that I am insane. :) Let it be known that my life is NOT a Haydn piece (my life is not boring). It is NOT a Mozart piece (my life is not predictable). I hope that it isn't a John Cage piece, or a minimalist piece, or anything that's too wacky and interesting only from the sense of patterns and formulas and algorithms. I don't think that I want my life to be any type of a concerto (I'm really not comfortable with solos that continue throughout an entire piece of music, though occasional solos are certainly fine and fun even). I'll have to think more about what classical music might fit my life...it will be a fun exercise. Creative suggestions are welcome. :)

5. I'll also have to consider the possibility that my life isn't classical music at all...maybe it's hip-hop!! ;)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your life could be descibed as a musical composition, it would certainly contain multiple movements with varied melodies. Of course, most of it would be composed in a minor key and... 9/8 time?

Mysterious, unique, and foreboding would best describe the majority of it. If the sound were ate, it would leave behind a bitter, unsweetened chocolate taste in one's mouth. However, not all of it will be so dreary. In fact, it opens with the cheerful ringing of bells...

The concert hall was filled with the sound of bells, from tiny to bell tower size. Soon it is joined with rhythmic percussion and the occasional trumpet flare. Your song really sounds more like noise at this point...

However, those who fell asleep during the first half of dullness, will be pleasantly awakened later to the sound of brass! A triumphant, full brass chorus in fact, playing your central theme and melody.

Then, breaking out from this refrain, a magnificent trombone solo!

After the solo there is complete silence for nearly a minute until suddenly, from seemingly no where, a dark and sinister phrase emerges from the unsettling quiet. At first it starts out slow and diminished, but then rapidly grows faster, louder, and more frantic... finally ending in an extremely loud crash of every pitch and tone of sound that exists combined. Ironically, this happens to be the long sought after "perfect chord"!

The audience jumps up and claps wildly, shouting "Encore! Encore!". Unfortunately you are out of time and the curtain drops, leaving an audience left in tears of both joy and sadness. Recording devices were not allowed in the theater and no song of it's like will ever be heard again. But the memory of this grand performance will live on for eternity.

11/21/2005 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home