10.16.2005

Mourningtime

The Penn State game in Ann Arbor yesterday was awesome. Until the last second, that is. In the last SECOND of the game, MI scored a touchdown and catapulted themselves to victory. If you haven't read about the details of the game, you can read about it here. To make a long story short, the fourth quarter was incredibly fast-paced and tense (and exciting, except that calling it exciting makes it sound like I'm somehow happy with the outcome of the game).

We had the best seats ever though -- we were in the second row of seats, right on the 30-yard line. Joe Pa was on average 40 feet away from me the whole game. The football players were lined up in front of our seats. The Blue Band sousaphone section was 20 feet to my left. A crazy and excited PSU fan (who made the 8-hour drive from State College) was right behind us. And the MI fans surrounding us were actually pretty friendly and humorous.

Of course, all of this made things even harder when the game ended abruptly. The players hung their heads. The sousaphonists looked devastated. I could see the facial expressions of so many PSU people, and that made the ending of the game even harder.

But, it was a good (in the technical sense of the word) game. And I'm glad that I had the opportunity to go. And I'm trying to not be too down about the loss (it's only a game! And Penn State will go on to kick butt the rest of the season anyway). ;) As my friend just reminded me, I should be happy today because "today is a weekend day that isn't yesterday."

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Blue! *gloats for the sake of gloating*

Or, if it makes you feel better, UofM had to win to honor the recently-deceased Hercules Renda. Yes, that is it.

10/16/2005 7:24 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

"Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
the leaders and best
Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
the champions of the West!"

:-)

10/17/2005 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with your blog at all :p, but Anne and I were talking last night about people giving us a blank stare when we say we went to Bucknell.

I'm happen to have the TV on, and David Letterman's show is on right now and he's interviewing the actor Les Moonves and he went to Bucknell!!!!! Go Bisons! :D

10/17/2005 11:54 PM  
Blogger MattyA said...

Is it sad that I'm approximately 4,500 miles away and was still despondant when I saw the score of the game? I think I care about it even more since I'm so removed from it and have nobody to talk to about it. Not that I'm really complaining, though, since I get to live in Europe! And Linds, I won't type in all the words we used to sing to the U of M fight song, but let me just say it usually ended with "...the cesspool of the West."

10/19/2005 3:47 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

It's not sad Matt!! You're a true Nittany Lion! Even living in Michigan for four years didn't brainwash you, so congratulations. :)

~Whatie ;)

10/19/2005 12:23 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Matt,
Didn't we watch a UM/PSU game together once back at the Hampshire House? Those were the days...

10/19/2005 2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw an ad in a MSU coffee shop talking about how their coffee is hot, even in the midst of a cold, bleak wasteland... the UM stadium is in the background :)

A.

PS 'Ray Bucknell!

10/23/2005 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home