11.01.2005

So true...

This is my favorite tv-based quote of the week:

"We'll simply set a new course for that empty region over there. Near that black-ish hole-ish thing."
~Futurama

Hehehe...I don't even watch Futurama, but a friend likes to keep me updated with the good quotes from that show, and I'm more than happy to listen! Anyway, this quote reminds me of my life sometimes. I hate it when I think that I detect a trap ahead and I fall into it anyway. This seems to occur regularly in the grad school setting, and I'm getting better with it over time. "It" refers to both detecting the black hole and preventing myself from steering towards the black hole. But, I still have a VERY long way to go. Let's just say that I'm not a big fan of "black-ish hole-ish" consequences.

But setting the seriousness aside, the quote is definitely funny on its own. I should come up with a list of favorite quotes from some of my favorite shows. Unfortunately, when I don't write them down right away, I tend to forget them. But here are a few that I love:

"If you boys try anything, ANYTHING, I will be ON you like a rainbow on an oil slick."
~Hal, from Malcolm in the Middle

"They taste like burning!"
~Ralph Wiggum, from the Simpsons (in response to a question about the taste of some berries he tried)

"I was imprisoned for a crime I didn't even commit! Attempted murder--now, seriously, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry?"
~Sideshow Bob, from the Simpsons. And actually I like just about any Sideshow Bob quote. :)

"Bart, don't make fun of grad students. They just made a terrible life choice."
~Marge Simpson

"Dear Lord: The gods have been good to me. For the first time in my life, everything is absolutely perfect just the way it is. So here's the deal: You freeze everything the way it is, and I won't ask for anything more. If that is OK, please give me absolutely no sign. (*nothing happens*)... OK, deal. In gratitude, I present you this offering of cookies and milk. If you want me to eat them for you, give me no sign. (*nothing happens*)... Thy will be done."
~Homer Simpson

Bart: Oh, I'm starving! Mom, can we go Catholic so we can get communion wafers and booze?
Marge: No, no one's going Catholic. Three children is enough, thank you.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear chum Eitak - you forgot a classic Homer quote....

"Bart! With $10,000 we'd be millionaires!"

What a beautiful world this would be if we all reasoned like this great man.

11/01/2005 10:25 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Don't forget the end of that quote, it gets even better!

"Bart, with 10,000 dollars we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things, like... love!" ~Homer

Other fav Simpson quotes:

Bart: "Look at me, I'm a grad student. I'm 30 years old and I made $600 last year!"
Marge: "Bart, don't make fun of grad students. They’ve just made a terrible life choice."
(I know Katie posted the 2nd half of this one but it is so great I needed to post it again. Best Simpsons quote ever!)

"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!" ~Homer

"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~Homer

"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing, bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..." ~Bart (and the theme quote of the Getty lab!)

11/02/2005 10:27 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

My officemates reminded me of this classic and much beloved quote today:

(Homer is driving and runs into a deer statue)
Homer: D'oh!
Lisa: A deer!
Marge: A female deer!

11/03/2005 12:10 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I just found my stash of favorite simpsons quotes!! Here are some that I haven't already posted:

"Now, I don't want you to worry, class. These tests will have no effect on your grades. They merely determine your future social status and financial success. If any."
~Mrs. Crabapple

"Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention. Science has it all."
~Principal Skinner

"His brand of gum -- Doublemint. Trying to double your fun, eh, Bart? Well, I'll double your detention. I wish someone was around to hear that."
~Principal Skinner

(All singing)
Homer: Bart was feeling mighty blue.
Marge: It's a shame what school can do.
Apu: For no reason here's Apu.
All: Those were the days.

Homer: Let that be a lesson to you, sweetie. Never love anything.
Lisa: Even you?
Homer: Especially me.

(In the space shuttle episode, Homer is about to collide with the experimental ant colony)
Ant #1: Protect the queen!
Ant #2: Which one's the queen?
Ant #3: I'm the queen!
Ant #4: No, you're not!

11/03/2005 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homer: I like to think a lot when I am tired, for then the bumblebees fly through and attempt to eat the sea breeze only to realize that the sea has engulfed them.

That is a classic too.

11/03/2005 2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to - are you ready for it? - branch away from Simpsons!

bouncer: "Are you two brothers?"
Doug and Steve: "Noooo..."
...pause...
Doug and Steve: "Yes! Bam! Get's them everytime! You're so funny. I know."

11/10/2005 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home