1.02.2006

MI and PA: apples and oranges

Well, today I made the long drive back to MI. I miss home already, but I'm very very thankful for the time that I had there with family and friends. As I drove today I took some time to reflect on some of the little but extremely fun things that I will treasure from the past couple of weeks.

I'm thankful for...

- the cat harassing me and Dad as we were repainting the living room
- helping Mom pet-sit 7 llamas
- watching Conan O'Brien late at night with my brother
- seeing navy and white everywhere :)
- shopping with Mom
- getting to eat at the Corner Room (my favorite non-foreign food SC restaurant) with friends
- getting to eat brunch at the Waffle Shop (my favorite breakfast restaurant ever) with a friend
- having a black lab mix keep my feet warm at night
- baking
- seeing King Kong with Mom (I actually really liked that movie!)
- discovering that I'm worse at Scene-It (TV version) than I am at Power Grid
- having my guy friends beat us gals at Battle of the Sexes, IQ version :(
- getting more Quicken tutorials from Dad (Quicken = best program ever!)
- hanging out with lots of friends from high school at our Christmas party
- having a friend care enough to come over and hang out even when I was really sick (I threw up before and after he came, but not while he was there...phew). :)
- watching DCI finals -- and discovering that Alfred Reed's "Russian Christmas" is a waaaay cool piece for drum corps
- deciding that I really want to get better at chess (for real this time!!!)
- sleeping lots
- celebrating the end of 2005 in style -- with a game of Settlers/Seafarers :)
- hearing my brother and his friends record a mock death metal song (guitar, bass, drums, and vocals). For the record, it turned out really well, and I crack up every time I hear it. They recorded everything in like 3 hours only and then used the mixer and a computer to put the multiple vocal tracks on top of each other. The vocals include lots of screaming/growling with really random and funny lyrics.
- learning how to "properly" knee a person. Yay for my cop friend (who teaches a self-defense course for women) getting a punching bag for Christmas. :)

The only really bad thing that happened over break was that I came down with the stomach flu. And yes, I was very sick...I didn't eat chocolate for 3 whole days!!

By the way, comparing apples and oranges is, in fact, possible. Read this article. :)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha. I like the comparison of apples to oranges. What a very scientific thing to do. Right up my alley. I'm glad that you got home safely and that I got to see you at Christmas time. Take care sis.

1/03/2006 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, seriously, that comparison is such a science major thing, completely in the opposite direction of where I would have gone with it. Complex, yet simple--it's awesome.

1/04/2006 12:45 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hehe...if you guys liked that article, you'll love this one:

Kansas is flatter than a pancake. :)

1/04/2006 1:12 AM  
Blogger MattyA said...

Well, thanks again for making me seriously homesick for a town that really isn't even home anymore! Russian Christmas Music for corps? That's incredible! That probably ranks up there with West Side Story Suite by Bernstein as coolest music for people to march to (well, that and Anchors Aweigh - do you know I still have my part memorized? Roar Lions Roar is gone, though). And it figures that I'm in Budapest for PSU's best season since I was 10. Oh well, my mom's sending me tapes of the games.

1/04/2006 11:11 AM  
Blogger Al said...

Um, do I dare point out that the article is seriously flawed, because, after all, it is comparing apples and oranges? The point has never been that the comparision can't be done; the point is the that the results from the comparision is invalid. :P

The fact that someone makes a comparision does not disprove the hypothesis that such comparisions are meaningless. (The fact that the study shows apples and oranges as similar, when we know that they can't be compared, should emphasize the flaws in this study.)

1/06/2006 9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Katie! Wow, it's amazing how I can catch up with you just by reading one entry. Sounds like you had quite a vacation! I'm sorry you got the flu, but it seems like the holiday break was long enough that you didn't spend the whole time sick in bed. =) I'm sure you'll be able to make up for those 3 days when you couldn't eat chocolate.

1/07/2006 10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was driving home from church and all of a sudden noticed that there's a "Waffle Shop" restaurant only about 5-10 min from where I live. LOL, the little things you miss when you don't pay attention. :P

Welcome back from your vacation Katie! Do you have a tan? :D

1/10/2006 10:49 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Thanks Ruth!!

Hm, only a bit of one! It was sunny for the first 2 days we were there and cloudy for the last 2 days. And we did a fair number of activities during the first 2 days, so I didn't get too much of a tan at all. That's fine with me though! :)

1/11/2006 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home