11.30.2005

Add a dash of patience

Christmas is almost here, and I'm becoming more anxious, excited, and relieved by the day. I will finally get back home again! My grand plans include, simply, spending time with my family (including the dogs and cat) and friends. I miss my PA friends a great deal. As for my non-MI and non-PA friends, well, yeah. Eventually I'll see you again. :)

In many ways I think that Christmas is a kind of homecoming. It's about remembering what you really value and reconnecting with your roots. I change in small ways from year to year, and Christmas gives me the opportunity to compare my latest self with my older self in a familiar context. The context is familiar because I'm back in the house I grew up in and on break from many of the pressures from school. When I begin to look back and compare, I find that I am amused at the type of presents that no longer amuse me as well as the ones that still do. I enjoy seeing the changes in my friends over the years -- several of my high school friends are married or engaged now. I pray differently now than I used to, but sometimes I'm amazed and/or dismayed at how similar my requests and struggles are from year to year. And even though I love celebrating Christmas with my parents and bro and puppies, I am starting to look forward to celebrating Christmas with a spouse and a family of my own. This "family" shall, of course, include several golden retrievers...;)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean and I will be in SC the weekend on the 17th and back again for Christmas if you want to meet up.
:-)

11/30/2005 9:37 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Definitely! I probably won't be back by the 17th, but I'll be back shortly afterwards. I'm thinking that we're going to be asked to sub for handbells at some point anyway, right? ;)

But we should definitely have a SC Christmas party/reunion. I know - we can go sledding! (sorry, MI topography leaves a little to be desired...)

11/30/2005 9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm definitely up for sledding, as long as there's hot chocolate afterwards ;-)

Hm, I hadn't thought about handbells, maybe we could get E. too and it'd be like old times, excpet that we'd probably only have to be there for 1 Mass rather than the many we used to do. :-)

11/30/2005 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home