1.11.2006

Reality check

So for those of you who didn't know, I just spent the last week on vacation in...Jamaica!! Unfortunately, I did not meet a steel drummer (unless you count the keyboard player who set his synthesizer to a steel drum setting, but I'm way above that). :) But I had such a blast. Here are some random thoughts swirling around my head from the trip.

First, I really am very bad with cloudy days. I have to learn to deal better with overcast weather. On our third day in Jamaica I woke up to...no sun! And within a very short time my mood had completely plummeted, even though I was on vacation! Ridiculous, I tell you. Thankfully, drinking caffeinated tea, combined with reading on the cloudy beach, seemed to work wonders. Another case in point is that I was in a superb mood yesterday, even though I was back in Michigan and settling back into work. Why the great mood? I'd like to say that it was because I was thankful for getting home safely (which I am), but I suspect that a large part of it had to do with the fact that the sun was shining brightly. Why Michigan is sunny when Jamaica isn't is beyond me. :)

Second, friendly people make me happy. Jamaican people were very friendly (some of the males were a bit too friendly though), and lots of them waved and yelled hello as you walked/drove/biked past them. No one had inhibitions about asking questions, asking for tips, complimenting you, etc. Of course, some of that was a bit unnerving and occasionally annoying. But after thinking about it for a bit, I've come to the conclusion that it simply shifts the burden of social expectation onto the recipient. In other words, you just have to get used to answering a lot of questions and saying "no" frequently.

Third, I'm way more interested in learning about plants when food is somehow involved. I've always wanted to become a better naturalist and be able to identify plants and such, but I'm never quite motivated enough to actually sit down and really learn what I need to learn. I can identify a few common trees by their leaves and I can identify ash trees by the ski-slope bark pattern (thanks Charlotte!), but that's about it. Anyway, it was neat to get to Jamaica and see coconut trees, lime trees, and the vegetation that produces allspice berries. The lime tree leaves smell like lime (or lemon)! And the allspice leaves smell like allspice!

Fourth, I become sortof uncomfortable when I become aware of the vast difference between poverty and riches. Wherever I went in Jamaica, I could look one direction and see wealth (the tourists and resorts) and look in another direction and see poverty (many of the locals). And it was disturbing to me to be reminded that, for instance, my digital camera alone probably cost more money than a lot of people have to live on. One of my friends recently blogged about feeling a bit of guilt over time and money he has spent on leisure occasionally, and I definitely resonate with that to an extent. Eventually he concluded that leisure is good in that it reminds him that the work he does is not really his to do -- he is God's instrument. Did Jamaica remind me of being God's instrument? Not really, to be honest -- I was busy enjoying the beach! But it has done a bit to tweak my mindset in ways that I think will ultimately lead me to better understand the importance of choosing to be God's instrument.

Fifth, I like how kids think and perceive the world around them. Being around kids turned a "neat" and "pretty" hike up a waterfall into a giggly and exhiliarating adventure. And while I was taking a bike tour along a very poor section of Jamaica, two Jamaican kids sharing an old bike pedaled up to me and biked alongside me for part of my trip. They chatted away, asked about my vacation so far, and swerved around crazily, somehow not hurting their bare feet on the pedals of the bike or on the rocky, dusty road. At one point I asked one of them what he liked most about living in Jamaica. Giving me a huge toothy grin, he stated simply, "Everything." Wow.

Ah, the trip was so cool, and I loved all of it. My friend Lindsey wrote up a great blog entry of what we actually did on our trip, so I didn't try to cover that at all here. If you're interested, take a look at her blog entry about Jamaica. It's titled, appropriately, "Ya Mon!" :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being the heathen pinko commie Massachusetts ivy-league liberal that I am, I can't help but comment on your enhanced awareness of class. The amount of inequitity in the world is staggering, and I'm glad your trip got you thinking about the topic along with all the fun you obviously had.

I confess, though, that you lost me with the instrument of God thing. Could you elaborate on the connection between leisure time and doing God's will?

(And for those readers who know me less well than Katie, only one or maybe two of the adjectives in the first sentence actually apply to me. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine which ones.)

1/11/2006 10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great trip! My sister went to Jamaica two years ago, and said much of the same things about it. She went horseback riding in the ocean as well.. wonder if it was from the same place. :) Do you ever post pictures online? I'd love to see :)

~jen

1/11/2006 2:30 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

lol Brian. The main question is, should I classify "liberal" as an adjective or a noun? That might affect whether I choose one or two other adjectives to fit you. ;) Just kidding. :) Oh, and should I account for the possibility of you moving to MA in the near future? ;)

Hm, I think that leisure, if done properly, allows one to distance oneself from many of the pressures and realities of the "real world." The distance itself can provide the benefit of a renewed and better (maybe more encompassing?) perspective on life. And this perspective, for many religious folk at least, should somehow be accompanied by a renewed perspective on their place in God's world. I think that often, to know how we can become more godly and do more good, we need to get out of our own little isolated worlds (full of worries and pressure and anxiety) and look at life through more objective glasses. Leisure, in some cases, can allow us to do just that.

Make sense at all? I'm sortof just rambling and probably being a bit repetitive. If anyone has any other thoughts to add, feel free. :)

Hi Jen! I know that Lindsey plans to post a few pics on her blog soon, and I may or may not do the same. I'd like to maybe set up a webpage with pics, but we'll see if I become computer-savvy enough to do so. By the way, I liked your pics of your kitty-cat. :)

1/11/2006 3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're depressed in cloudy weather? How do you survive in Michigan then? I guarantee, we have not had truly sunny weather lately...

It just always amazes me that so many people get depressed when it's cloudy out. I mean, I'm not thrilled with it. Maybe it's solely a factor of the fact that I've lived here all my life, but it's not that cloudy days are bad so much as that sunny days are really, really good.

1/11/2006 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home