3.15.2006

Reacting appropriately to life

Here are two interesting and funny (as usual) but really kindof sad articles from The Onion. More than just interesting and funny, though, I think they're pretty thought-provoking.

Rotation of Earth Plunges Entire North American Continent Into Darkness

Poverty-Stricken Africans Receive Desperately Needed Bibles

In the first article, I hate to admit it, but I actually can identify with overreacting to everyday events. You're all shocked, I know. I don't know how to change that part of me. At least I've almost grown out of being scared of the dark.

In the second article, I can identify with using well-meaning but not direct enough approaches to try to solve problems I see with life.

Both of these articles are parodies of the interesting ways in which we humans sometimes react to circumstances in life. Sometimes I wonder what the correct response really is, though. And are overreacting and using indirect approaches worse than not responding at all?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the first article as an illustration of erroneous cause and effect. The Ad Hoc fallacy, I believe. :)

-NC

3/16/2006 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. I meant post hoc (ergo propter hoc). Silly Latin.

3/16/2006 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home