10.12.2006

Two for one, and, how cool is your job?

This morning, snow was falling as I walked across campus to my building. It was a light and powdery snow with fairly large flakes -- the perfect type of snow for a morning walk. It fell onto green grass and brightly colored trees, creating a light white dusting on the gold, orange, and maroon leaves. Apparently winter has come to visit, but autumn is still going strong. It felt like we were getting the best of both seasons.

Here's an amusing side note: one of my compsci friends has a theory that I thought some of you might enjoy. The theory is that any academic discipline can be rated along a "coolness" scale where a discipline receives a higher ranking as the potential for that discipline to be the career choice of an evil villian in a movie/comic book rises. This scale shifts over the years as people adjust their fears about the future.

So, for example, computer scientist? Definite potential for a villian's career...if you're going the robotics/AI route. Geologist? Not so much...at least yet. Nuclear physicist? Uh, yeah. According to this scale, nuclear physics is currently cooler than computer science, which is cooler than geology. To my librarian friends, I apologize on behalf of this ranking system.

For now at least, the scale doesn't allow for my discipline to be ranked at its full potential. But just wait until I obtain funding to train killer bees...:)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, but librarian could be a sleeper discipline... you know, nobody would suspect that a librarian could turn into a super evil villian. :) Then, poof! You're surrounded by their ninja army, the "Dewey Decimals." Ha ha. It would be the perfect cover.

Sorry if that was somewhat incoherent, I had a late night at work and I'm still a little groggy. *HUG*

10/13/2006 1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but the power of persuasion is the scariest power of all!

--Lisa

10/14/2006 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That reminds me, where does someone with a biotech degree stand? Could it possibly be a cool major, since there is mad scientist potential?

10/17/2006 12:35 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Lisa, the power of persuasion is indeed a scary power -- especially when it's used to get people to play doppelkopf!!! ;)

Sis, I would agree that there's definite mad scientist potential with a biotech degree. Have fun with that!

10/17/2006 12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This needs posting somewhere, I have no blog (yay me!) and Carl's requires a user name and stuff. Anyways, potential awesomeness ->
http://www.vnes.thatsanderskid.com/
I haven't tried it, so I don't know for sure.

10/17/2006 10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. We're fierce. Click here

10/19/2006 1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I'm guessing plant ecologist doesn't rank too high. Unless, of course, I could cross kudzu and poison ivy and create killer vines. But I think I'm too allergic to poison ivy to do that!
Charlotte
<><

10/19/2006 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home