7.01.2006

Nested thoughts

So t-minus a few hours until my parents arrive in town for the weekend (yay!). Since I've felt waaaay too scatterbrained recently to write on any given topic for an extended period of time, here are some random thoughts that have been floating around inside my head:

- I think that metaconversations are fantastic. A metaconversation is essentially a conversation about a conversation -- something like "when the group conversation turned to this one subject, I was thinking that I'd like to steer it back to the original topic, but I never had the chance. What did you think about the discussion?" I've had several metaconversations recently and I've really grown to appreciate them and the many opportunities for open and honest sharing that they provide.

- I'm getting a new bike! Okay, it's actually a new used bike...but it's one that actually fits me. It even has some shocks so that I can go trail riding without feeling every single root and stone that I ride over.

- My favorite cards in the game Apples to Apples are the following: festering wound, friction, the common loon, angry hornets, and black hole. If you play one of those cards, I won't necessarily pick it, but I'll certainly be tempted. :)

- It took me awhile to figure out why I've felt like my week has been incomplete. But I think I've figured it out now. See, one of my friends has toyed with the idea of blogging about why geishas are more relaxing than attending church. So on monday, I excitedly check his blog. Nothing. Tuesday, nothing. Certainly by wednesday...but no. And here it is, saturday, and he still doesn't have a post written. I think I can make it through the weekend, but it's gonna be tough. Can someone please hand me a tissue?

- I am really quite a lazy person. When friends drag me out to do something active, I'm all over it. But when I'm by myself...well, that's a different story. Sometimes I'm pretty good at being active, and sometimes I'm not. I have to work on being more self-motivated. My goodness, I thought that I had enough of that to do what with being in grad school and all. But the most recent result of motivated friends was a fun game of ultimate frisbee -- yay. :)

- My math nerdiness has been rearing its ugly head lately -- due to a combination of factors. I'm a little wary of how much I want to nurture the beast (this is a different beast than Ghengis, fyi), but here's a warning in advance that I might try to post life-mathematical thoughts sometime soon.

- It's difficult to strike a balance between meeting/getting to know new people and continuing to get to know people with whom I have an established relationship. I wonder if I'll ever get to a point in life when I just don't want to know any more people. I hope I don't -- I think that would be sad.

- When I started writing this, I felt like I had many more random thoughts...oh well. Happy July!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My! What horrible person would ever dare to make your life incomplete? I say this calls for an immediate blog post involving geishas and church.

--Lisa

7/01/2006 2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when you yawn, you're sure your body is saying it's thirsty, and you get a drink. Perhaps, when your body or mind is saying it wants to be lazy (or maybe the cue is them not saying anything at all), then you should let yourself sit around and *relax, chill out - yo, take it easy, recuperate from life, take some time for yourself...* There is no need to be productive or active all day every day.

7/01/2006 7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quoth Katie "I am really quite a lazy person. When friends drag me out to do something active, I'm all over it. But when I'm by myself...well, that's a different story."

Even more proof that we are related sis! I am the same way. And unfortunately so is John. We should win some kind of lazy couples' award. When I left RI, some of my friends actually said to me "We hope you find some new friends who will drag you out of the house and make you do things!"

Oh, and did you know that one guy actually PROPOSED to his girlfriend using the Apples to Apples game? He wrote in to the game people and they made him a special card that said something like "Jen, will you marry me?" Then when they had some friends over and were playing, he rigged it so her card said "Surprise" or "Celebration" or something like that, and then he laid down his card... of course, she said yes! (I've never played the game, so the details might be off)

7/02/2006 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is this Apples to Apples game? It sounds like In a Pickle (have you found that one out there in MI yet?). Oh, and I think that these comments are very disjointed. People aren't commenting on previous comments (Heather, that is such a cute way to propose!), and there are no comments from you about our comments yet! Hm. Have I ever told you how I feel about "real" cheese? ;-) (Just sprang to mind as an old conversation about which we have had many conversations!)

7/03/2006 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE Apples to Apples! hehehe

7/03/2006 1:44 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Wow, lots of comments on Apples to Apples. Sarah, it's basically a social game where you try to match nouns with an adjective card. The person holding the adjective card gets to pick their "favorite" noun card (for whatever reason -- it fits best, it's the most funny, etc), and whoever played that favorite noun card gets a point.

The result: you try to play cards ("apples") that you think the person holding the adjective card might pick. It results in much hilarity and craziness. And yes, it's akin to "in a pickle." I still need to look for that game!

So I have to decide now if "Salsa dancing" is one of my favorite cards...I actually don't think it is. I love salsa dancing -- don't ge me wrong; but it just doesn't match the "festering wound" option. :) And Jon, you shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on whether I should like the salsa dancing apple until you actually try salsa dancing. ;)

Sis -- of course we're related! And that's interesting about the lazy couples' award -- good luck with the motivation factor. I'm able to be active about some things, but exercise was never a strong motivating factor for me. I enjoy some sports and various forms of exercise, but I mostly grew up just doing random activities outside (biking, playing in a pool, running around and climbing trees and jumping in leaf piles) and then doing a lot of academics and music. I think that I'm more active (exercise-wise) since moving out to MI than I had been at any point before that. It's interesting. You used to swim a lot; do you still find time to get to the pool?

7/04/2006 12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So after reading this post of yours, the very next thing I read was another post about the common loon, oddly enough. :)

7/05/2006 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home