9.22.2005

Dream On

Every person struggles with certain problems or issues for most of their life. We (hopefully) realize what these are and try to work through them. I can definitely list some stuff that I have trouble with often.

But you know what? Sometimes I feel like I can deal with all of that because I know to expect it. It’s there all the time, I’m pretty sure it’s not going away anytime soon, and I have techniques that I can apply to soften the blows. Or even if I can’t deal with it well, it’s nothing new, and I can predict what kinds of moods or response I’ll have to it. And I know that, eventually, I’ll probably drift out of those moods (and then slip back in again later). I’m picturing a sinusoidal wave here, people. I can estimate the frequency and the amplitude. It’s just a math equation with not-fun emotional consequences…but I’m used to those because I had lots of them in college (can we say real analysis II take-home exams?). ;)

So I’ve decided over the past week that what really bugs me is when I have some unexpected (bad) response to something, or when I experience some type of negative mood that doesn’t pop up very often at all in my life. The key word here is: unexpected. It really throws me off! And it really really annoys me, for a few reasons:

1. I feel silly having to confront something that usually doesn’t bother me at all.

2. I can never be sure if I’m really grappling with a new issue, or if it’s just that I’m extra vulnerable because I’m pretty sleepy or because of extremely overcast weather. The point is, maybe I wouldn’t be bothered by the same issue on a totally different day.
3. I end up spending a lot of time and energy trying to figure out why I’m actually upset about something that usually just bounces off of me…and then I wonder if thinking about it too much just makes it worse (or more likely to come to mind again)
4. I wonder if this is going to become a new, more frequent issue
5. I wonder if this is just an old issue in disguise – it could have just been triggered by something completely different than usual.

I’m not sure where I’m going with all of this (surprise surprise), but I felt like writing about it, so I did. Hm, now that I look on the list I generated above, I see a common thread: I’m bothered by feeling uncertain. So maybe new or infrequent negative emotions bother me for two reasons: because they intrinsically are upsetting, and because I’m uncertain about what they are exactly and how to deal with them. Okay, I like it when writing helps me clarify something.


By the way, the ideas in this post mainly came about from thinking about my unexpected (and still ongoing) reactions to a weird dream I had last weekend. And then I had a sad dream last night…yeesh. Is there any evidence that eating chocolate before bed causes weird dreams? If there is, I’ll have to think extra-carefully about the chocolate…but in the end, we all know which choice I’ll make anyway. ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

The only thing I know of that causes weird dreams is the malaria medicine I took when I was in Ecuador! ;-)

9/23/2005 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... now that you mention it, I haven't had a dream for a long time now. Or if I did it's usually about me doing something I normally do - e.g. cleaning, studying, driving to school, so even if I recall the dream it's hard to separate it from reality. :P

9/24/2005 11:15 PM  
Blogger kayc said...

ditto on the malaria meds...but even if chocolate does cause strange dreams, who could give it up? chocolate is one of the few things i'm missing right now...
glad that you caved and joined the blogging craze :)

9/27/2005 5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home