10.31.2006

Yeah man!

The music curriculum at my (former) high school now includes a new course: the Rock Ensemble.

In the Rock Ensemble, students learn scales and techniques commonly used in rock music. Students pair into smaller groups with other students who are at a similar musical level, and work together to improve musicianship. An article that I read about the class states "...Rock Ensemble is a useful stepping stone to learn to play with others and improve music style. The class plays hard rock songs from bands such as Black Sabbath." Not surprisingly, the class seems to be pretty popular among the students -- there are about 30 students enrolled this semester.

I think that anyone who went to my high school will immediately be able to guess the teacher in charge of this course: that's right, none other than our groovy orchestra director. Yeah man! ;)

The music curriculum at my high school has always rocked, but now it literally rocks! More than anything, I'll venture a guess that this class helps bridge the gap that has always existed between the rock-bandish-type students and the symphonic/orchestral students. Maybe now the more classically trained musicians at the school will actually recognize some of the people that participate in battle of the bands!

All I have to say is: rock on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home