6.06.2006

To bee or not to bee...creative

So this is going to sound like a very silly request, but I thought I'd try anyway.

I'm not going to go into depth about my research project on my blog, but one of my research goals this summer is to compare some decisions of honeybee colonies that experience a period of good foraging weather to the decisions of honeybee colonies that experience a prolonged period of bad (rainy) weather. To induce a prolonged period of bad weather, I've constructed a device to make colonies think that it's raining (without having to use a sprinkler and tons and tons of water).

This device is basically a circulating pump system that showers water onto the entrance of a hive, collects the water in a tray underneath the hive, and recirculates the water via a small fountain pump from Home Depot. The bees won't come out of the hive when they think that it's "raining" like this. I've plugged the pump into an outdoor timer, so that the rain will automatically begin at early in the morning and continue until a set time in the evening.

I'm not the first person to do crazy things like this to a bee hive/colony. A professor on my committee has used a sprinkler in some previous research, and a research group in Europe has constructed a device like this for an observation hive. In their papers, they refer to their device as a "rain machine." My device/system is a bit different because it is meant to fit regular-sized colonies out in a bee yard.

So here's my silly request: I want to give a name to my "rain machine" -- just a way to refer to it in presentations, mainly. I could just call it a "rain machine," but I'd like to get something a bit more creative (but still informative) going. My advisor even mentioned that I should have an acronym contest. ;)

So yeah...here's a try at that. :)

The name for the device doesn't have to be an acronym, but it might make things more interesting. :) Keywords might include things like: individual hive, individual colony, bad weather, rain, shower, honeybees, Apis mellifera, etc. I'm looking for a name that's informative, creative, and perhaps intuitive. Bonus points for being (beeing?) corny, too -- I'm a big fan of nerdy humor, as you all should know by now. I accept suggestions via blog or e-mail. I'll be trying to think of something too.

The winner gets...hm. Respect? Nah. Coauthorship on a manuscript? Nah. Ice cream? Now that's a possibility. :)

Thanks in advance for some professional silliness!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest you name the hive categories instead. There are the bees with rain--the Bee Rains... the B.Rains... and the other ones can be the B.Rainless...

...Ya know what? If it requires this much explanation (or an intuitive knowledge of how my brain functions, at least) it's probably not worth it. But it amuses me...

--Lisa

6/07/2006 9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, it's just embarassing how long it took me to get the B.Rains and B.Rainless... maybe I'm just not awake yet. Yep, that must be it. :) Funny though!

Hm. Not coming up with anything else to suggest. I'll keep you posted if I (or the more corney pun-loving member of my household, who shall remain nameless but it's probably not Bob) come up with anything for you!

6/08/2006 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best I've come up with (which is not very good) is BAWS: Bee Adverse Weather Simulator.

Maybe someone else can make it cornier (no help from Adam so far).

Charlotte
<><

6/12/2006 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, i'll see if i have any creativity today. hehehe.
Melliferaqua
Bee Sprinkled
R.U.TH. B. (Rain Upon THe Bees)
The Bee Waterer
R.O.B. (Rain On Bees)

Ok, i think that's all i've got. Hehehe.

6/13/2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

You gals are awesome. Thanks for the input and let me know if you (or the more corny members of your family) have more suggestions!

I haven't chosen one yet, but for some reason Jen's "bee sprinkled" and "melliferaqua" ones crack me up. I might end up going with the "bee sprinkled" one...hm. :)

I have to say, corny/nerdy humor never ceases to make me smile. Thanks. :)

6/13/2006 7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy to help :) Especially when it comes to corniness/general sillines. hehehe

6/16/2006 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home