5.23.2006

Along for the ride

Sometimes my friends come quite close to reading my mind (which should be scary to them). This morning, during my morning blog-checking routine, I found this quote written by one of my friends:

"It's just--three years ago, who of us would have anticipated our lives as being where they are now?"

Exactly...that's exactly how I feel sometimes. I'm not complaining; I'm actually pretty happy with where my life is right now, though I see lots of room for improvement.

My friend's quote reminds me of conversations that I've had with my Dad about the craziness that is life as a twenty-something-year-old. He repeatedly encourages me to enjoy the unpredictability and uncertainty inherent at this stage of life. "One day," he says, "you'll wake up and realize that you've been doing the same thing for years, and will be doing the same thing for years, and you'll miss the thrill of not having any clue of where life is going."

Hm. I'm starting to see where he's coming from. It's nice...until I decide that I can't stand not having answers again. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

5/23/2006 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would never in a million years describe the feeling of "not having any clue of where life is going" as a thrill. Unless it was a thrill of terror.

-NC

5/24/2006 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home